Pages

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Thomas The Train Birthday Party

For my son's first birthday I did not have a Silhouette machine and looking back I'm a little sad about that but for his second birthday I did have a Silhouette. Not the Cameo, but the the very first Silhouette ever made passed down from my mom to me. Although it's not as fancy and I couldn't do the print and cut feature I still think everything fit the theme pretty well for a Thomas the Train party.



The banner was probably my favorite of all the things I cut. I made it pretty large and don't make my banners this large anymore but it worked great in the space where we had his party. The Silhouette store did not have Thomas cut files so I used a regular train file for the banner as well as the train crossing sign. I do recommend planning the colors you want first and figuring out what letters will be what color. Makes cutting so much easier when you know exactly what needs to be what color.


For the cake/cupcakes my mom made an amazing Thomas cake and cupcakes. I made cupcake wrappers to go around them which I will admit were not the best idea! They took FOREVER to cut, dulled my cutting blade super quick, and used a lot of paper. I took a regular cupcake wrapper file from the Silhouette store and reduced the train file to fit inside the wrapper, there were 3 trains per wrapper. I did not waste the cut out trains, I used them as "confetti" for the tables! I don't think I will ever do cupcake wrappers again, I much prefer the cupcake toppers I've done for other parties.


The other DIY I did for this party were the favors, Thomas crayons. I took molding putty from Michael's, you can find it in the adhesive or clay aisle, and my son's wooden Thomas train and went to work. I ended up getting 5 molds out of one kit, since you are bending them to get the crayons out you may bust one or two of the molds like I did so try and be as gentle as possible when removing the crayons. Once the molds set I preheated the oven to 325 degrees and chopped up some crayons. A few notes about the crayons: soak them in water the day before to get the wrappers off without killing your hands and do go with Crayola crayons they work by far the best with melting and remolding them. I put similar colors together in the molds and just kept an eye on them in the oven until they were fully melted, I didn't leave them alone for even a minute because they melt pretty quickly. The house will probably smell a bit, it's normal. Let cool completely and then pop them out. I had one in each favor bag and I put them on the tables with printed coloring train pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment